Sunday 13 April 2014

Food: homemade falafel

It is fair to say that I have a little bit of time on my hands at the moment and as such thought I would do some experimentation in the kitchen. Cue, homemade falafel. 

Falafel are one of my favourite meat free items mainly because I love chickpeas and garlic and they have this incredible comfort food feeling without being unhealthy. And making them yourself is easier than you might think. Especially with this super simple recipe!



I roughly followed the recipe in my usual style, not really following the measurements, using two cans of pre-cooked chickpeas, adding some extra cumin and a little more garlic and made up 12 generous sized falafel, although I could have made them smaller and had about 16 of them. 

I shallow fried them for a few minutes on each side before popping them in the oven for about 15 minutes. And the result was better than I had expected; yummy falafel which held together well and had a nice soft texture. My main problem was that the blender broke down on me and I had to use a potato masher to soften the mixture so my falafel were a little more lumpy than they should of been. 



But with a huge plate of salad, some bulgar wheat and a generous dollop of humous, who cares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!