Monday 21 April 2014

Easter Weekend the London way

I haven't done an Easter Weekend in London for three years and I have forgotten how dangerous it is. No, not dangerous like in Cyprus where kids have a tradition of collection wood and making bonfires and setting off fireworks. 

No, England is dangerous for my waist line. The supermarkets are filled with bargain chocolate easter eggs, the family is all together in England for once and there will at least one roast dinner this weekend. Expat easters in Cyprus were very different: there is a huge religious context given that Cyprus is such a strong Greek Orthodox community. And with that comes many traditions including red eggs, cheesy easter flaoune bread and a big BBQ feast to celebrate the end of the fasting period. 

In England our traditions are different within each family, but in mine, Easter means the smell of daffodils, a roast dinner, hopefully having both of my brothers in the country, chocolate easter eggs and well, more chocolate easter eggs. However you celebrate I hope you had a happy easter. I am sure everyone is in a chocolate coma right now.







No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!