Tuesday 27 August 2013

easy mexican chicken in a bowl

I discovered recently that I really need easy cooking; after work, dog walking and blogging, cooking has taken a bit of a backseat. I find myself search pinterest with the terms "easy recipe" and "quick dinner" a lot. Seriously what did we do before pinterest?

One recipe that popped up on one of my said search adventures, was this easy mexican chicken and rice bowl. It combines everything I want from a good meal; rice, yummy flavour-packed chicken, sweetcorn and avocado. In a bowl. You don't even nee a knife (which equals less washing up afterwards). 



Obviously I adjusted the recipe slightly to suit my taste and the contents of my kitchen - but follow Myra's recipe if you need a bit more structure in the kitchen; I noticed I am bit reckless with recipes recently!

1. I had already roasted chicken the day before and had leftovers, so I threw some chopped peppers into a frying pan with olive oil, salt and garlic for around 10 minutes and then threw in the chicken. 

2. Next I added pre-bought taco seasoning and about a cup of water and let it simmer away. 

3. While this was all going on I had some rice cooking away.

4. I let the chicken simmer for maybe 20 minutes. 

And voila; pop some rice in a bowl, add the chicken and peppers, throw on some sweetcorn (mine was out of a can I'm afraid) and chopped some avocado. I didn't have sour cream but Greek yoghurt works just as well. 

And dinner was done. Oh and in the 20 minutes that the chicken was simmering, I hopped in the shower; I am a sucker for leave-to-cook dishes that mean I can go do something else and get all the after work duties out the way so I can r-e-l-a-x. 

Bon Apetit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!